A very urgent message from the master of Zonnekus arrives on the agent’s smart phone at 10:30 on 21 November, and he reads it immediately :
He ascertains that a helicopter is available but it only has a range of 200 miles (i.e. 100 miles on the outward flight and 100 miles on the return flight; it can hover over the ship for about 30 minutes, and it will have a bit of fuel in a reserve tank.)
- How many nautical miles must the ship steam to get within range of the helicopter?
- At what time will the ship be in range of the helicopter?
- If the helicopter must be in the air 20 minutes before the ship is within range, what time should the helicopter take off?
- Whom should the agent alert to be at the base to fly out to the ship?
- What other arrangements should the agent make in connection with the injury and landing of Chef Mendez in Durban?
- Assume a 20-minute flight to the ship, 20 minutes hovering while the chef is airlifted off the ship, and a 20-minute return flight. What is the ETA of the helicopter back at the base?
- Assume sunrise is at 05:30 and sunset is at 18:10. Will any part of the flight take place in the dark? YES or NO.
- Assume that the ship will not stop while the chef is being lifted off. What is the ETA of Zonnekus in Durban?