Ship chartering is the hiring of ships. This is a very large sector in the maritime industry and employs thousands of people worldwide.
A ship’s broker:
- organises charters for ships
- finds ships to carry particular cargoes
- buys or sells ships on behalf of owners
Some owners operate and manage their ships themselves. Others ask a ship management company to manage and/or charter (hire) their ships to an operator or charterer.
A ships’ agent
- Represents the shipowner in a port.
- Organises all the requirements of the ship while in port.